History “Buffs” Compete

Wednesday, March 9, the History Day competition was hosted in the Greybull Middle School Gym.  Schools around Bighorn county, including Greybull, were expected to have their projects ready to present to judges by the deadline. 

History Day has been an ongoing competition since 1974.  History Day students spend a large portion of the school year studying a history subject focused on a certain theme as determined by the National History Day Board. 

The theme for 2022 was Diplomacy.  Students had to choose a topic based on the theme and make a type of presentation to show the information. It could be a self-built website, a documentary, a postcard, etc.  The presentations are then shown to the judges, along with the various other resources including citations, a process paper and an annotated bibliography. 

If students place in the top three they qualify for State and will go to Laramie and compete against students from all over Wyoming.

Participating students often found it fun, but also challenging. 

“It’s very fun, but can be aggravating at points.  Especially stressful near the end,” said Camila Acuna.

Good luck to all competitors!  Go Greybull!

History Day Results

On March 9, History Day teams from Powell, Meeteetsee and Cody descended upon Greybull to compete for the chance to advance to State History Day in Laramie on April 15. 

With the exception of two projects, all of the Greybull participants placed high enough in the awards ceremony to go to State.  In fact, GMS first place in four of the subjects areas. 

In group documentaries, Charles Fink, Bradin Ewen and Jack Pharaoh took first place. 

In group websites, Kyle Bennasky and Gatlin Good took first place. 

First place in posters went to Brooklyn Allen. 

Finally, in single documentaries, first place went to Kamryn Good.