Teacher Feature – Mr. Culwell

Teacher Feature - Mr. Culwell

Mr.Cuwell has been picked for this teacher feature. Mr.Cuwell is the Middle school math teacher. He was born in Irving, Texas. He came to Greybull because he thought it was a great community and town to live in. 

1. What was your favorite family vacation you have been on?  Several years ago we took a trip from Texas to Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, and Colorado.  We saw Mt Rushmore, went to Cheyenne Frontier Days as well as Ft. Laramie.  My great-great-grandfather was stationed there in the late 1800s and served as a supply sergeant.  It was really neat to see some of his documents and hear stories of life at the fort.
  2. What was your first pet’s name or what would you have named your pet?  When I was a child, we had a dog named Duke.  Coincidentally,  we currently have an Australian Shepherd again named Duke. 
  3. If you made a cereal, what would you name it and what would it have in it?   Luke’s Hearty Granola.  I love granola cereal but my one complaint about most cereals is that it doesn’t have enough goodies in them.  My granola would have plenty of pecans and chunky bits of dried fruit.
  4. What was your favorite subject in school?  I really enjoyed my science classes.  Those were the classes that made me think!  I did a decent job in math but really didn’t begin to do my best in math until I got to college.
  5. What did you want to be when you were a kid?  I wanted to be an engineer or scientist.  I really did not think about being a teacher until I was in my 3rd year in college.
  6. What is your best childhood memory?  I really enjoyed spending time at my grandmother’s house.  She was the kind of lady that always made you feel like you were the most important person in the world.  She was an expert in hospitality and always had a kitchen full of food.
  7. What did you want to name your first kid, when you were a child?  Honesty, when I was a child, raising children was far from my mind.  Maybe that’s a boy thing, lol.  We did give all of our children family names though.  My oldest is Nolan, which is my grandmother’s maiden name and the last name of my great-great-grandfather who was stationed at Ft. Laramie.
  8.  If you could go back in time, what time period of time would you go to and what for?  My youngest graduated high school last year and my oldest is 27.  I would love to go back about 18 years and spend much more time with my children.  They are all great young adults now, but we really enjoyed the time when my wife and I were raising our family. 
  9. What school subject did you do best in?  I wouldn’t say I made the best grades in my science courses, but I did enjoy the challenge!  I had a really tough teacher who had high expectations.  This prepared me well for life after high school and college.  That experience also shaped my expectations for the students I have had in my classroom for the past 30 years.
  10. Have you ever regretted becoming a teacher?  Absolutely no regrets!  I cannot think oe well for life after high school and college.  That experience also shaped my expectations for the students I have had in my classroom for the past 30 years. f another profession that has more of an impact on future generations. My first group of students are now in their late 40s.  I am still friends with some who have gone on to be doctors, accountants, scientists, & educators as well as great citizens of our country.  It was an honor to be a part of their experience and I am proud to see them do great things in life!